My 2020 Lenten Journey by Terri Gadzinski, Executive Director, U.P. Catholic Foundation, Inc.
Not surprisingly, my 2020 Lenten journey was like no other. Yes, COVID-19 introduced a whole new set of challenges and opportunities into my Lenten plans, but that is not what made my 2020 Lenten journey so extraordinary.
My Lenten routine always includes stepping up my personal prayer and reflection time. This year, that time included some brief journaling on most days, including answering the question, “What is God saying to me today?” I promised myself I would write my answer in his voice and use words sparingly.
Easter came and went by the time I decided to thumb back through my Lenten journal entries. I was drawn to the words God said to me, through me. And therein I found extraordinary Lenten lessons.
- Simple invitations: “Go get your ashes”
- Loaded questions: “How are you investing in your relationship with me?”
- Profound challenges: “Be brutally honest when you talk to me.”
- Fresh opportunities: “How can you be more intentionally involved in your parish to make it more vibrant?”
- And even a little sarcasm: “Are you listening to me?”
Ha! I would do well to write down what God is saying to me more often.